[omega] Question about the paper published in EuroTeX 2005

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at enst-bretagne.fr
Sat Mar 12 17:10:22 CET 2005

Le 12 mars 05, à 16h14, gabor.bella at enst-bretagne.fr a écrit :

>> In the part about hypenation of "acke" to "ak-ke", the representation
>> of
>> the lexemes you provide can read as:
>>
>> { c=a | hyph=0; g=a }
>>         ( bifurcation from glyph 1 to next glyphs 1 and 2 )
>> { c=c | hyph=0; g=c | pseudo = k-hyph }
>>         ( closing glyphs 1 and 2 to next glyph 1 )
>> { c=k | hyph=0; g=k }
>> { c=k | hyph=0; g=e }
>>
>> I do not understand the need of that "pseudo", what is difference
>> between a "pseudo" and a "g" ?
>
> When we include both the "g=c" and the "pseudo=k-hyph" glyphs in the
> "*"
> texteme in "ba*ken", we don't know yet if the word will really be
> hyphenated at that point. So we need to prepare for both cases. "*"
> will
> either be replaced by a "c" glyph or by a "k" glyph and a hyphen.

Bad answer. In fact I added the pseudo property without explanation to
see how long it will take for somebody to ask what it is :-)
The idea is the following: a "glyph" is a reference to a specific glyph
in the current font, but I thought that in some cases the
transformation is much more general. Here we have a "k" which is in
fact independent of the font used (since this is a "linguistic"
transformation rather than a graphical one, as would be a ligature).
Maybe that step is completely useless at this point, maybe
it will prove of some utility. We'll see.

Still you must admit that the case of "hyphenation transformations" is
philosophically quite interesting. Is the "k" a different glyph
for character "c", or is there something else going on here? When
searching and indexing I will indeed want to have "backen"
and not "bak-ken", but one can hardly call "k" a variant glyph of "c"...

| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at enst-bretagne.fr |
| Directeur d'Études                   http://omega.enstb.org/yannis |
|                                          Tel. +33 (0)2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                          Fax  +33 (0)2.29.00.12.82 |
| Département Informatique                                           |
| École Nationale Supérieure des Télécommunications de Bretagne      |
| Technopôle de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest CEDEX 3, France  |
                          ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un aquarium,
                                         mieux vaut n'être pas poisson

                         ...the ball I threw while playing in the park
                                        has not yet reached the ground