[omega] Question about the paper published in EuroTeX 2005

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at enst-bretagne.fr
Sat Mar 12 21:23:18 CET 2005

> I would call "k-\nk" a variant glyph for "ck", which turns to be what
> textemes are made for. One point would be to decide if "ck" have to be
> character or several, but I think it's not that important: as you
> showed
> in the paper and during the conference, a string of characters can have
> variant representations as string of glyphs, and not necessarily with a
> one to one mapping.

 From the point of view of characters everything is clear: "ck" is a
string of *two* characters, there
is absolutely no doubt on that.

The question is: what is the status of the "k" which replaces "c"?

All I want to say is that this case is different from the one of glyph
variants (like the many
"d" in Zapfino). The transformation c->k looks more like a character
transformation. And still
when we search or index the text we don't want to find "k-k" and that's
typically what we do
when we have a glyph transformation...

[Not to mention another particularity of the `ck' in German: like `ch',
it is in fact a ligature, represented
most of the times by additional (negative) kerning between the glyphs]
| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at enst-bretagne.fr |
| Directeur d'Études                   http://omega.enstb.org/yannis |
|                                          Tel. +33 (0)2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                          Fax  +33 (0)2.29.00.12.82 |
| Département Informatique                                           |
| École Nationale Supérieure des Télécommunications de Bretagne      |
| Technopôle de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest CEDEX 3, France  |
                          ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un aquarium,
                                         mieux vaut n'être pas poisson

                         ...the ball I threw while playing in the park
                                        has not yet reached the ground