TeX Live update failure

Philip Schneider pjschneider at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 20 20:56:40 CET 2023

Greetings -

Apologies if this is a known issue; I just subscribed to this mailing list.

I’m on macOS Sonoma 14.1.1. Just tried updating via the TeX Live Utility app, and am getting an error. I’m informed of the error via a popup stating:

“The update failed. The update process appears to have failed, would you like to show the log now or ignore this warning?”

Looking at the log, I see this:

“./runme.sh: no xz.[universal-darwin][.exe] binary for /usr/local/texlive/2023/bin/universal-darwin in /var/folders/y3/<long dir name>/T/<long dir name>/installer/xz.’”

I encountered this issue on trying to update my existing installation, and to try to address it I removed the existing macTeX, and downloaded/installed a fresh version, but again encountered the update failure.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Assume I’m a moderately competent Mac/Unix user/programmer… Or do I just have to wait until a newer update is available?

— Philip