TeX Live fonts in macOS apps

Herbert Schulz herbs2 at mac.com
Fri Jul 21 13:06:54 CEST 2023

> On Jul 21, 2023, at 4:38 AM, Matthias Schmidt <tex at mschmidt.name> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there a good way to install MacTeX fonts as system fonts so that they can be used in other macOS apps? I would like to avoid copying them as there can be changes to the fonts in Tex Live.
>
> There used to be an option in the MacTeX installer some years ago, later I created symlinks from the default TeX distribution installed to my user home dir (e.g. "/Library/TeX/Root/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm/" -> "~/Library/Fonts/Latin Modern"). This worked fine in macOS Monterey until I recently updated to Ventura. I'm still able to find the fonts (e.g. in Pages: cmd+T > Collection: All Fonts > Latin Modern Roman) but after selecting one, the font name is shown as [?][?][?][?][?] and typing just produces question marks.
>
> If copying or double-clicking the fonts in "/Library/TeX/Root/texmf-dist/fonts/" is the only option, is there a post-install hook in TeX Live Utility so that I can run a script to copy fonts each time a font package was updated?
>
> Matthias Schmidt

Howdy,

I use the same symlink but to the complete opentype folder. Every once in a while, usually when I update to the latest TeX Live Distribution (via the MacTeX installer) the font system gets confused. I use `Font Book.app' and have it check all the fonts in that folder and things start to work again.

Hope that helps.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
herbs2 at mac.com