[OS X TeX] TeXShop on Monterey: weird behavior?

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Fri Mar 11 00:16:07 CET 2022

William Slough,

Although I cannot reproduce your problem, I might be able to fix it. I'm preparing a new version of TeXShop with very few changes, but one change might help you.  You can download a preliminary version via

https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/TeXShop470.zip

Let me explain.

If several programs are running on your Mac and you want to quit for the night, you can select the menu "Shut Down"
A dialog appears, and it has a selectable item reading "Reopen windows when logging back in." If you select this, then the next time you boot your Mac, the programs that were running when you shut down will start running again.

One of my users ran into a problem. He typically opened several projects in TeXShop. When the Mac rebooted and TeXShop automatically started, it would get into a loop and have to be aborted. But then when it was started again, it opened without problems. I could not reproduce this problem.

However, I added a fix for him. Version 4.70 has a new hidden preference item named IgnoreStartOnReboot. By default, this preference has value NO and nothing changes. But if you quit TeXShop and then type

defaults write TeXShop IgnoreStartOnReboot YES

then when you shut down and ask all your programs to start again on reboot, they will all start except TeXShop. You have to start it manually.

I just checked, and this preference also affects Restart. So if you define it to be YES, then when you restart, TeXShop will not restart automatically. (The preference does NOT affect adding TeXShop to the list of Login Items for a user, so you can still add TeXShop to that list.)

Thus this preference changes only two things: if you use Restart, or you shut down your machine and later restart it, all other programs will start again automatically( if you clicked the button on shutdown), but TeXShop won't.

Incidentally, I assume that when TeXShop has just a blank window open and you quit it, and then later restart TeXShop, the blank window appears without that second gray window. So I'm assuming the bug only happens with Restart or with shutting down your machine and then booting it up again at a later time.

Dick Koch