[OS X TeX] TeXShop on Monterey: weird behavior?

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Thu Mar 10 04:39:19 CET 2022

Bill,

> On Mar 9, 2022, at 6:38 PM, William Slough <wslough at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am reluctant to ask this, because I cannot duplicate the behavior. However, it has happened to me several times recently. Likewise, it’s happened to a colleague so I know it is not unique. We have two relatively recent Macs, one with Intel and one with Apple silicon. Both are running Monterey.
>
> When the problem occurs, two TeXShop windows appear: one gray and one white, and there is some apparent CPU activity in one of them — the little line segment marching in a circle. The only apparent fix is a force quit.
>
> This is rare and not a deal breaker by any means…but I wonder if others have experienced this.
>
> Bill Slough
> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/TeX/
>                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/

This is just a wild guess. Could you be choosing Edit --> Experiment by mistake? This would create a small edit window and a small typeset window. Their size would depend on past history of using Experiment and thus not be predictable. The edit window would be white and the other would be gray until an experiment was typeset.

Dick Koch