[OS X TeX] .sty files listed as Kind STY and Asian characters

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Sep 29 21:05:20 CEST 2020

> On Sep 29, 2020, at 11:24 AM, koch at math.uoregon.edu wrote:
>
> Murray, Herb, and others:
>
> When a program like TeXShop defines the various types of files it can open, one of the data fields it fills out for each type is a name field, as in "Latex File". This field is localized; there is a file named InfoPlist.strings for each localization giving the translation of the field. This localization is used in the Save Dialog; then you first create a file and then save it, a pulldown menu at the bottom of the dialog allows you to choose the type of file being saved.
>
> Some of the TeXShop localizers translated InfoPlist.strings and some did not. When it is not translated, the pull-down menu at the bottom of the Save dialog will be in English.
>
> The Chinese localization does contain a translation of the terms.  It looks to me like you are seeing that Chinese translation.
>
> Why the finder uses the Chinese translation rather than the language you set in System Preferences is a mystery.

> My plate contains items like Big Sur and Arm and has no room for this mystery.
>
> Richard Koch
> koch at uoregon.edu

Howdy,

I just saw <https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/564651/all-style-files-are-of-kind-sty-文件-in-finder> on the TeX Stackexchange site. It looks like that person is using Alpha rather than TeXShop to open the file so this seems to be a ``feature'' of macOS, at least Catalina.

PS: I think I've seen that ``feature'' before and forgot about it since it's inconsequential.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)