[OS X TeX] .sty files listed as Kind STY and Asian characters

koch at math.uoregon.edu koch at math.uoregon.edu
Tue Sep 29 18:24:05 CEST 2020

Murray, Herb, and others:

When a program like TeXShop defines the various types of files it can open, one of the data fields it fills out for each type is a name field, as in "Latex File". This field is localized; there is a file named InfoPlist.strings for each localization giving the translation of the field. This localization is used in the Save Dialog; then you first create a file and then save it, a pulldown menu at the bottom of the dialog allows you to choose the type of file being saved.

Some of the TeXShop localizers translated InfoPlist.strings and some did not. When it is not translated, the pull-down menu at the bottom of the Save dialog will be in English.

The Chinese localization does contain a translation of the terms.  It looks to me like you are seeing that Chinese translation.

Why the finder uses the Chinese translation rather than the language you set in System Preferences is a mystery.

My plate contains items like Big Sur and Arm and has no room for this mystery.

Richard Koch
koch at uoregon.edu