[OS X TeX] [OFF-TOPIC] python

David Craig dac at panix.com
Fri Oct 16 02:13:41 CEST 2020

Just a quick request seeking advice (off-list, since this is off-topic) on the best way to get going with python in Catalina.

Of course I can (and have) googled aplenty for advice.  I’m asking on this list because evidence is that this group is comprised of folks with very similar profiles, attitudes, and context to me when it comes to matters of this nature, so your advice is more likely to be pitched at someone very comfortable with computers, etc. but is not necessarily a “programmer”.  For reference, I’ve done quite a bit of fortran and C++ coding at some now rather distant points in my past, but am by not any stretch of the imagination a programmer.  As for python, I’ve done little more than fool around with it a little bit, but I do need to become a bit more familiar with it, to the point that I can actually accomplish simple tasks without it taking large quantities of my time.  (This includes graphing in 2D and 3D.)

I’m also asking because under old versions of macOS, I succeeded in screwing up python pretty badly when I tried to upgrade it, which brought an end to my experiments with it at the time — I simply couldn’t get it to run any more, even with help, and then other matters took over my time.

I’m guessing something like homebrew is going to be the way to avoid that in the future, but I guess I’ll see what folks have to say.

Anyway, thanks for any input!

David Craig

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/ <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>>