[OS X TeX] How use git with TeXShop projects?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 22:18:34 CEST 2020

Thanks for these suggestions.

Unfortunately, under no circumstances can I imagine abandoning TeXShop at this point for another front-end to LaTeX. In particular, because of (i) the configuration I’ve already done for a custom pdfltexmk; (ii) useful built-in or easily added 3rd party macros; and (iii) the ease of setting up “command completion” strings that allow me to hit a couple of keys, ESC, and cause a long string, including placeholders, to appear in the source.

I am completely accustomed to typing raw LaTeX commands for everything, including math expressions, and have no need whatsoever for the extra scaffolding of LyX. Moreover, LyX won’t even allow such a simple thing as opening an existing .tex file. LyX is not TeX!

I know about R Studio, but I have no need for statistics, or the R language, in what I’m doing.

> [...]
> R is ridiculously powerful but has a substantial learning curve. If you're doing much numerical work, climbing the curve is worthwhile. Even if you're not, you can still use R Studio's writing interface with minimal knowledge of R.
> The biggest headache I have using Git is remembering to sync things up when I start writing or finish writing for the day. I'm looking for some way to automate reminders, if not the syncing itself.
>
>> Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 17:54:49 -0400
>> From: Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> <mailto:murrayeisenberg at gmail.com>
>> Subject: [OS X TeX] How use git with TeXShop projects?
>>
>> I?d like direct advice and pointers to documentation on using a revision control system with both a local repository and a repository in the cloud for projects done in TeXShop.
>>
>> Considerations:
>>
>> 	- Except for having downloaded many archives from github, I?ve never used a revision control system before
>>
>> 	- I?m agnostic with respect to the particular revison control system. I suppose Subversion and GIT are the chief contenders today.  Or RCS?
>>
>> 	- I?m aware of https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2007-3/scharrer/scharrer.pdf__;!!Jh1S!1Wj1D5m3DHbTAMIOdUkp7XdYGAblUOit7w8pXkXTwk7_TyEzrnguW-92-4sM$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2007-3/scharrer/scharrer.pdf__;!!Jh1S!1Wj1D5m3DHbTAMIOdUkp7XdYGAblUOit7w8pXkXTwk7_TyEzrnguW-92-4sM$>  <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2007-3/scharrer/scharrer.pdf__;!!Jh1S!1Wj1D5m3DHbTAMIOdUkp7XdYGAblUOit7w8pXkXTwk7_TyEzrnguW-92-4sM$ > <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2007-3/scharrer/scharrer.pdf__;!!Jh1S!1Wj1D5m3DHbTAMIOdUkp7XdYGAblUOit7w8pXkXTwk7_TyEzrnguW-92-4sM$>, but that?s a bit old (and Windows oriented)
>>
>> 	- Are there any hooks in TeXShop for facilitating use of a revision control system directly within it?
>>
>> Although I?m engaged in a single-author project, my understanding is that using a revision control system would be a lot safer than my current, ?manual? system of (i) having the Mac utility app Forever Save 2 automatically save each TeX file each time it?s saved within TeXShop; (ii) daily backing up the current files in the project into a .tar via a little shell script; and (ii) of course the usual local backup to TimeMachine and remote backup to a cloud-based system such as AWS S3/Glacier.
>>
>> ---
>> Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:murrayeisenberg at gmail.com>
>> 503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
>> Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com