[OS X TeX] TeXShop: a way to automate terminating each line in a block with a comment symbol

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun May 17 21:53:24 CEST 2020

> On May 17, 2020, at 2:36 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It’s worth saying three things for this procedure:
>
> 	(a) This method is possible only when using the OgreKit Find Panel.
>
> 	(b) It does not work as I’d expect if there are trailing blanks in one of the block’s lines, as it leaves those unwanted blanks there.
>
> 	(c) [of course] one also has to check the “Selection” option of the Scope section in the OgreKit Find Panel.
>
> ** It would still be very nice to have a TeXShop menu items, or at least a macro, to do this operation.
>
> Compare, for example, BBEdit, where after selecting a block of lines, one uses the Text > Prefix/Suffix Lines menu item and then just enters the desired prefix or suffix in the resulting pop-up window.  (Albeit that suffers from the same trailing-blank issue.) I suspect other programmers’ text editors have similar built-in menu items or macros.
>
>> On 17 May2020, at 6:37 AM, Luis Sequeira <lfsequeira at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 1) Select the block of text where you want to add the comment sign.
>>
>> 2) Press Command-F to open the Find window
>>
>> 3) Chech the box for "Regular Expressions"
>>   Make sure that you have selected Origin: "Top" and Scope: "Selection"
>>
>>   Type "$" (without quotes) in the search box
>>   Type "%" (without quotes) in the replace box
>>   Press Replace All

Howdy,

How I wish the Ogrekit find panel was fixed for Catalina, especially to get it to work properly in Dark Mode.

Take a look at the Cot Editor (available for free via the App Store). It has a beautiful regex ready Find Panel that works beautifully in Dark Mode. It would be wonderful is someone could get that to work in TeXShop. PS: the Cot Editor is Open Software written in Swift with freely available source code.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)