[OS X TeX] TeXShop: a way to automate terminating each line in a block with a comment symbol

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun May 17 21:36:39 CEST 2020

It’s worth saying three things for this procedure:

	(a) This method is possible only when using the OgreKit Find Panel.

	(b) It does not work as I’d expect if there are trailing blanks in one of the block’s lines, as it leaves those unwanted blanks there.

	(c) [of course] one also has to check the “Selection” option of the Scope section in the OgreKit Find Panel.

** It would still be very nice to have a TeXShop menu items, or at least a macro, to do this operation.

Compare, for example, BBEdit, where after selecting a block of lines, one uses the Text > Prefix/Suffix Lines menu item and then just enters the desired prefix or suffix in the resulting pop-up window.  (Albeit that suffers from the same trailing-blank issue.) I suspect other programmers’ text editors have similar built-in menu items or macros.

> On 17 May2020, at 6:37 AM, Luis Sequeira <lfsequeira at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 1) Select the block of text where you want to add the comment sign.
>
> 2) Press Command-F to open the Find window
>
> 3) Chech the box for "Regular Expressions"
>   Make sure that you have selected Origin: "Top" and Scope: "Selection"
>
>   Type "$" (without quotes) in the search box
>   Type "%" (without quotes) in the replace box
>   Press Replace All

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334