[OS X TeX] enumeration

Roussanka Loukanova rl.stpuu at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 21:07:20 CEST 2020

Dear Zbigniew,
My suggestions are:
On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 6:36 PM Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <
Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu> wrote:

> I apologize for this, which is really an amstex or latex question.  I
> recall once seeing an answer (somewhere) and can’t find it now.
>
> In the amsarticle document style as presently constituted, when you start
> a list with
> \begin{enumerate}
> \item…
> the numer of the (first) item gets printed as "(1)";  it used to print as
> “1.”.
> The former, “(1)”, drives me crazy.  The latter, “1.”,  is what all the
> “tutorials” online assume happens.
>
> I think I once saw a way to change this back by putting an option into the
> document style, or perhaps via some other universal command, but can’t
> find it now.
>
> I tried a local command, that is, beginning my environment with
> \begin{enumerate}[label=\arabic*.]

(1) Try with the style:
\usepackage{enumerate}
and then for a list:

\begin{enumerate}[1.]
\item ...
\end{enumerate}

(2) In addition, your attempt for
\begin{enumerate}[label=\arabic*.]
 should work with:
\usepackage{enumitem}

(3) You can get the enumeration mode "1." with {enumitem} by adding the
option:

\usepackage[shortlabels]{enumitem}

and then in the list:
\begin{enumerate}[1.]

But I do not know whether \documentclass{amsart} is OK together with the
styles:
enumerate.sty and  enumitem.sty

I've been using the three ways (1)-(3) quite a lot with several
\documentclass, but not with {amsart}.
Let us know, whether the above works with {amsart}. There may be even
better ways, which other people can suggest.

Best Regards,
Roussanka

and got the error message