[OS X TeX] New distribution

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri May 11 18:00:52 CEST 2018

> On May 11, 2018, at 9:41 AM, Adam R. Maxwell <amaxwell at mac.com> wrote:

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I said there were no guarantees. Just for more voodoo, try to check/uncheck the `show icon preview' box in the View->Show View Options (Cmd-J) in Finder for a window that has the files in it.
>>>
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Herb Schulz
>>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Since that database hasn't changed given that UTI should no longer exist I assume it hasn't been updated.
>
> You can update the Launch Services database by moving the application you modified to a different folder and then back again, using Finder.
>
> Still, this problem will not go away unless everyone agrees on a common UTI for .tex documents, but I no longer have the will to fight that battle. It might go away if other applications start declaring all known .tex UTIs as UTImported, I guess.
>
> My whitepaper on UTIs is still available here:
>
> https://github.com/amaxwell/mactex_uti/blob/master/mactex_uti.pdf
>
> -- adam

Howdy,

Thanks for getting involved with this discussion! That paper has been very helpful to my (partial) understanding of the situation.

Besides rebuilding the Launch Services DB as you stated (I believe the Safe Boot does that too) I believe you can force a rebuild of the Spotlight DB by dragging your HD icon to the Privacy tab of System Preferences->Spotlight, Quitting System Preferences and then go back and remove it (Select it and click the -). The first operation should delete it and the second starts the rebuild. Please let me know if that will do the job.

While the Spotlight DB is rebuilding you might notice reduced performance on other jobs. With an SSD it shouldn't take an undue amount of time; go grab a cup of coffee, read a good book and let the system churn away. :-)

Hope this helps! Unfortunately it's really a hit or miss.

PS: Is there any way to petition Apple to define the public.tex UTI (aren't they the only ones that should be defining in that domain?) once and for all? Is that a hopeless adventure?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)