[OS X TeX] New distribution

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri May 11 16:41:06 CEST 2018

> On May 11, 2018, at 07:18 , Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
>> On May 11, 2018, at 9:02 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On May 11, 2018, at 8:54 AM, Gary L. Gray <euler at psu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Herb,
>>>
>>> I performed your “voodoo” on my machine and now all .tex files have BBEdit icons. Great sadness. At least they are not plain white icons, I suppose.
>>>
>>> By the way, running mdls on a .tex file with a BBEdit icon still gives me
>>>
>>> kMDItemContentType                 = “public.tex"
>>>
>>> as it did before I sacrificed a chicken to the macOS gods.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I said there were no guarantees. Just for more voodoo, try to check/uncheck the `show icon preview' box in the View->Show View Options (Cmd-J) in Finder for a window that has the files in it.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>
> Howdy,
>
> Since that database hasn't changed given that UTI should no longer exist I assume it hasn't been updated.

You can update the Launch Services database by moving the application you modified to a different folder and then back again, using Finder.

Still, this problem will not go away unless everyone agrees on a common UTI for .tex documents, but I no longer have the will to fight that battle. It might go away if other applications start declaring all known .tex UTIs as UTImported, I guess.

My whitepaper on UTIs is still available here:

https://github.com/amaxwell/mactex_uti/blob/master/mactex_uti.pdf <https://github.com/amaxwell/mactex_uti/blob/master/mactex_uti.pdf>

-- adam