[OS X TeX] Latex symbol for "define equal"

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Tue Aug 21 13:21:34 CEST 2018

Hi all.

I agree with using "when", or better "precisely when", in definitions.
Do not use these words in theorems. There are many alternative ways to express what you want.

But didn't this thread start out asking for a symbolic notation?
In that context, equivalence is *not* the word you want for a definition, as equivalence depends on a particular relation, so is weaker than a definition.

There are nuances in mathematical concepts and notations that are not always correctly appreciated by those who work primarily in other (mostly applied) fields.