Re: [OS X TeX] Non–Recovery from Error

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Mar 13 21:31:42 CET 2011

On Mar 13, 2011, at 2:33 PM, David Messerschmitt wrote:

>> <<snip>>
>
>> You can try to add the -c option to the latexmk command line in the engine file(s) you use. E.g., if you use the pdflatexmk engine simply double click on the pdflatexmk.engine file in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ to open it in TeXShop. The last line in that file looks like
>>
>> "${LTMKBIN}"/latexmk -pdf -r "${LTMKEDIT}/latexmkrcedit" -r "${TSBIN}/pdflatexmkrc" "$1"
>>
>> and simply put the -c option before the -pdf option:
>>
>> "${LTMKBIN}"/latexmk -c -pdf -r "${LTMKEDIT}/latexmkrcedit" -r "${TSBIN}/pdflatexmkrc" "$1"
>>
>>                   ^^^
>>
>> if that doesn't clean enough try the -C option which cleans out a bunch more. No guarantees!
>>
>> I think this will clean out the files at the start of a latexmk run.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>

> I am using xelatexmk, so I edited xelatexmk.engine, adding a -c:
>
> *****************************
> #!/bin/bash
> export TSBIN="$HOME/Library/TeXShop/bin/tslatexmk"
> export LTMKBIN="$HOME/Library/TeXShop/bin/tslatexmk"
> export LTMKEDIT="$HOME/Library/TeXShop/bin"
> # make sure latexmkrcedit exists in bin
> if [ ! -e "${LTMKEDIT}/latexmkrcedit" ] ; then
> 	cp "${LTMKBIN}/latexmkrcDONTedit" "${LTMKEDIT}/latexmkrcedit"
> fi
> "${LTMKBIN}"/latexmk -c -pdf -r "${LTMKEDIT}/latexmkrcedit" -r "${TSBIN}/xelatexmkrc" "$1"
> *******************************
>
> Unfortunately latexmk now hangs at this point:
>
> *****************
> Latexmk: This is Latexmk, John Collins, 23 July 2010, version: 4.18.
> **** Report bugs etc to John Collins <collins at phys.psu.edu>. ****
> Latexmk: Reference `eq:ltiTF' on page 12 undefined
> Latexmk: Reference `eq:imfgenie' on page 23 undefined
> Latexmk: Reference `eq:imfgenie' on page 23 undefined
> Latexmk: Reference `eq:phi' on page 23 undefined
> Latexmk: Reference `eq:bounds' on page 26 undefined
> Latexmk: Reference `' on page 35 undefined
> Latexmk: Reference `' on page 35 undefined
> Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest3' on page 49 undefined
> Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest3' on page 49 undefined
> Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest4' on page 49 undefined
> Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest4' on page 49 undefined
> Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest3' on page 50 undefined
> Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest3' on page 50 undefined
> Latexmk: Found input bbl file 'ARTICLE-DISPERSION.bbl'
> Latexmk: Log file says output to 'ARTICLE-DISPERSION.pdf'
> Latexmk: Examining log file for generated files...
> *********************
>
> Not even an error message. Did I do something wrong?
>
> (BTW, what I was expecting to happen was the latexmk would
> just take a lot longer to format. I was prepared to say that
> what I want is to clean the .aux only after an error, not all the time.)
>
> -dave
>
> P.S. Really appreciate all the time and effort you put into this list, Herb!

> [...]

Howdy,

Is that happening after the first or second or ... run of pdflatex? That most likely means that there are other things wrong. Try the -C option and if that doesn't remove everything that needs removing I don't really know what to do right now.

The fact of the matter is that there is a problem that requires your attention and cleaning the bad subsidiary files produced by the problem seems to be a normal part of the action you should take.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)