Re: [OS X TeX] Non–Recovery from Error

David Messerschmitt messer at eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun Mar 13 20:33:20 CET 2011

> <<snip>>

> You can try to add the -c option to the latexmk command line in the engine file(s) you use. E.g., if you use the pdflatexmk engine simply double click on the pdflatexmk.engine file in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ to open it in TeXShop. The last line in that file looks like
>
> "${LTMKBIN}"/latexmk -pdf -r "${LTMKEDIT}/latexmkrcedit" -r "${TSBIN}/pdflatexmkrc" "$1"
>
> and simply put the -c option before the -pdf option:
>
> "${LTMKBIN}"/latexmk -c -pdf -r "${LTMKEDIT}/latexmkrcedit" -r "${TSBIN}/pdflatexmkrc" "$1"
>
>                    ^^^
>
> if that doesn't clean enough try the -C option which cleans out a bunch more. No guarantees!
>
> I think this will clean out the files at the start of a latexmk run.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

I am using xelatexmk, so I edited xelatexmk.engine, adding a -c:

*****************************
#!/bin/bash
export TSBIN="$HOME/Library/TeXShop/bin/tslatexmk"
export LTMKBIN="$HOME/Library/TeXShop/bin/tslatexmk"
export LTMKEDIT="$HOME/Library/TeXShop/bin"
# make sure latexmkrcedit exists in bin
if [ ! -e "${LTMKEDIT}/latexmkrcedit" ] ; then
	cp "${LTMKBIN}/latexmkrcDONTedit" "${LTMKEDIT}/latexmkrcedit"
fi
"${LTMKBIN}"/latexmk -c -pdf -r "${LTMKEDIT}/latexmkrcedit" -r "${TSBIN}/xelatexmkrc" "$1"
*******************************

Unfortunately latexmk now hangs at this point:

*****************
Latexmk: This is Latexmk, John Collins, 23 July 2010, version: 4.18.
**** Report bugs etc to John Collins <collins at phys.psu.edu>. ****
Latexmk: Reference `eq:ltiTF' on page 12 undefined
Latexmk: Reference `eq:imfgenie' on page 23 undefined
Latexmk: Reference `eq:imfgenie' on page 23 undefined
Latexmk: Reference `eq:phi' on page 23 undefined
Latexmk: Reference `eq:bounds' on page 26 undefined
Latexmk: Reference `' on page 35 undefined
Latexmk: Reference `' on page 35 undefined
Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest3' on page 49 undefined
Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest3' on page 49 undefined
Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest4' on page 49 undefined
Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest4' on page 49 undefined
Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest3' on page 50 undefined
Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest3' on page 50 undefined
Latexmk: Found input bbl file 'ARTICLE-DISPERSION.bbl'
Latexmk: Log file says output to 'ARTICLE-DISPERSION.pdf'
Latexmk: Examining log file for generated files...
*********************

Not even an error message. Did I do something wrong?

(BTW, what I was expecting to happen was the latexmk would
just take a lot longer to format. I was prepared to say that
what I want is to clean the .aux only after an error, not all the time.)

-dave

P.S. Really appreciate all the time and effort you put into this list, Herb!

David Messerschmitt
Roger Strauch Professor Emeritus
Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
University of California at Berkeley
      and
Visiting Researcher
SETI Institute