Re: [OS X TeX] Non–Recovery from Error

David Messerschmitt messer at eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun Mar 13 21:40:49 CET 2011

On Mar 13, 2011, at 1:31 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2011, at 2:33 PM, David Messerschmitt wrote:
>
>>> <<snip>>
>>
>>> You can try to add the -c option to the latexmk command line in the engine file(s) you use. E.g., if you use the pdflatexmk engine simply double click on the pdflatexmk.engine file in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ to open it in TeXShop. The last line in that file looks like
>>>
>>> "${LTMKBIN}"/latexmk -pdf -r "${LTMKEDIT}/latexmkrcedit" -r "${TSBIN}/pdflatexmkrc" "$1"
>>>
>>> and simply put the -c option before the -pdf option:
>>>
>>> "${LTMKBIN}"/latexmk -c -pdf -r "${LTMKEDIT}/latexmkrcedit" -r "${TSBIN}/pdflatexmkrc" "$1"
>>>
>>>                  ^^^
>>>
>>> if that doesn't clean enough try the -C option which cleans out a bunch more. No guarantees!
>>>
>>> I think this will clean out the files at the start of a latexmk run.
>>>
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Herb Schulz
>>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>>

>> I am using xelatexmk, so I edited xelatexmk.engine, adding a -c:
>>
>> *****************************
>> #!/bin/bash
>> export TSBIN="$HOME/Library/TeXShop/bin/tslatexmk"
>> export LTMKBIN="$HOME/Library/TeXShop/bin/tslatexmk"
>> export LTMKEDIT="$HOME/Library/TeXShop/bin"
>> # make sure latexmkrcedit exists in bin
>> if [ ! -e "${LTMKEDIT}/latexmkrcedit" ] ; then
>> 	cp "${LTMKBIN}/latexmkrcDONTedit" "${LTMKEDIT}/latexmkrcedit"
>> fi
>> "${LTMKBIN}"/latexmk -c -pdf -r "${LTMKEDIT}/latexmkrcedit" -r "${TSBIN}/xelatexmkrc" "$1"
>> *******************************
>>
>> Unfortunately latexmk now hangs at this point:
>>
>> *****************
>> Latexmk: This is Latexmk, John Collins, 23 July 2010, version: 4.18.
>> **** Report bugs etc to John Collins <collins at phys.psu.edu>. ****
>> Latexmk: Reference `eq:ltiTF' on page 12 undefined
>> Latexmk: Reference `eq:imfgenie' on page 23 undefined
>> Latexmk: Reference `eq:imfgenie' on page 23 undefined
>> Latexmk: Reference `eq:phi' on page 23 undefined
>> Latexmk: Reference `eq:bounds' on page 26 undefined
>> Latexmk: Reference `' on page 35 undefined
>> Latexmk: Reference `' on page 35 undefined
>> Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest3' on page 49 undefined
>> Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest3' on page 49 undefined
>> Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest4' on page 49 undefined
>> Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest4' on page 49 undefined
>> Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest3' on page 50 undefined
>> Latexmk: Reference `eq:phaseest3' on page 50 undefined
>> Latexmk: Found input bbl file 'ARTICLE-DISPERSION.bbl'
>> Latexmk: Log file says output to 'ARTICLE-DISPERSION.pdf'
>> Latexmk: Examining log file for generated files...
>> *********************
>>
>> Not even an error message. Did I do something wrong?
>>
>> (BTW, what I was expecting to happen was the latexmk would
>> just take a lot longer to format. I was prepared to say that
>> what I want is to clean the .aux only after an error, not all the time.)
>>

> Howdy,

> [...]

Actually this behavior occurs for a document that compiles correctly.
That is, I typeset (no errors), add either -c or -C to xelatexmk.engine,
and then typeset again. Now latexmf hangs for both -c and -C switches.
The -c and -C switches seem not to work even under normal circumstances.

-dave

David Messerschmitt
Roger Strauch Professor Emeritus
Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
University of California at Berkeley
      and
Visiting Researcher
SETI Institute