[OS X TeX] Getting fonts working.

Michael Welsh yomcat at yomcat.geek.nz
Mon Jul 18 20:53:49 CEST 2011

On 19/07/2011, at 4:43 AM, Michael Sharpe wrote:

>> I'm trying to install Comic Sans, using the package comicsans. I've put all the files into textmf-local, in the correct places. texdoc comicsans works fine.
>>
>> However, LaTeX can't seem to find the ttf files (copied straight from whenever Apple puts them and chmodded to 777 to remove any potential permissions errors).
>>
>> The error I get is
>> pdfTeX error: /usr/texbin/pdflatex (file comic.ttf): cannot open TrueType font file for reading
>> and the complete log file is at http://yomcat.geek.nz/LaTeX/comics.log
>>
>> I've run updmap-sys --force --enable Map comicsans.map a few times, and still nothing.
>>
>> oh, I'm running the TL-2011 pretest.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Truetype font maps should not be added to updmap.cfg, but should be used on the fly with
>
> \pdfmapfile{+comicsans.map}
>
> in your preamble.
I added that, got the same error.

> Check the letter casing of the ttf. Because the search is in the system area, case matters---pdflatex is looking for comic.ttf.
Yes, all lowercase.

> Another possibility is that you have a personal updmap.cfg that hides the one created with sudo [-H] updmap-sys.
How would I check that? This is pretty much a brand new computer, and this is the first font I've tried to install.
> If all else fails, you could try
>
> http://math.ucsd.edu/~msharpe/TeXFontUtility.dmg
>
> which, among other things, tries to analyze misbehaving font installations.
Thanks. It said "at least one of the things in updmap is false, they should all be true" Apart from that, it seems to be all good.

Michael