[OS X TeX] A suggestion for TeX Live utility

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Feb 8 21:27:03 CET 2009

On Feb 8, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Juan Luis Varona wrote:

> TeXLive utility knows where every file of the distribution
> is in the hard disk, including the help.

Unfortunately, it doesn't actually know this; the information is in
the tlmgr database, but not accessible.

> For instance, by using the "Show Info" button you can read
> the documentation of the packages that have
> been updated in the texlive server.
>
> Why not to add the possibility of read the documentation of
> every package, without taking into account if
> it is up to date in the hard disk or not?

You can do this already.  Click the "Manage Packages" tab to see all
installed packages, and you can show info for any of them.

Please note that the documentation files are based on texdoc, so they
may not be correct.  The description is from the tlmgr package
database, so it should be reliable.

> That is, to mimic in TeX Live Utility a part of the behavior
> of TCOBrowser.

That's actually my intent, since TCOBrowser is basically dead at this
point.

thanks,
Adam