Re: [OS X TeX] Re: ``/usr/texbin/pdflatex´´ does not exist

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Apr 11 19:21:20 CEST 2008

Le 11 avr. 08 à 16:56, M A a écrit :

> I certainly don't speak for Macports, but I would say that macports is
> aimed at an audience for
> whom these sorts of configurations are simply a non-issue. Also,
> installing the tex distribution pane
> stuff may also go against the philosophy of trying to keep macports as
> self-contained as possible
> and trying to avoid installing things outside of /opt/local. Anyway,
> even if it is "just a little more work"
> someone has to do it (and I might argue that understanding the whole
> directory structure dance
> associated with the distribution pane might be more than just a little
> work), and it's probably a
> low priority for the maintainer who may see little need for it
> (possibly for the reasons above).

Viewed from the MacPorts side, that makes perfect sense.

Viewed from the MacTeX side, maybe the associated TeXDist structure /
Library/TeX/Distributions/MacPorts-teTeX.texdist should be updated to
reflect the structure of the new MacPorts TeXLive port. Maybe just the
name, as I don't think the directories used by the texlive port are
different from those for the tetex port.

Several times I thought I should take time to study portfiles and the
various TeX-related ports, and write a portfile offering via MacPorts
the same functionality as with MacTeX. Alas, I don't think I'll ever
find this time.

> Are you sure that xetex is not installed with the texlive port? I
> believe it is. It
> is part of a normal texlive distribution is it not? So, it certainly
> should get
> installed with all the other texlive things. Maybe the confusion is
> because
> of the outdated xetex and tetex ports which still exist from the
> time before
> there was a texlive port.

Looking at the portfile, one can find:

configure.args  --mandir=${prefix}/share/man \
                 --infodir=${prefix}/share/info \
                 --with-system-freetype2 --with-system-ncurses \
                 --with-freetype2-libdir=${prefix}/lib \
                 --with-freetype2-include=${prefix}/include \
                 --with-system-pnglib --with-system-zlib \
                 --with-system-gd --with-fontconfig=${prefix} \
                 --disable-multiplatform --without-texinfo \
                 --without-xdvipdfmx --without-texi2html \
                 --without-psutils --without-xetex

So it seems neither xetex nor xdvipdfmx are built. Why I've no idea.

Bruno