[OS X TeX] Re: Using old Adobe PS (Type 1) fonts

Luci Ellis luci at verbeia.com
Mon Oct 29 21:26:47 CET 2007

On 29/10/07 8:58 PM, "Peter Dyballa" <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 29.10.2007 um 16:24 schrieb Guill. Moreno-Socias:
>
>>    I want to use the font Bodoni in plain TeX.  I have the files
>>
>> Bodon
>> BodonBol
>> BodonBolIta
>> BodonIta
>>
>> which are PostScript Type 1 outline fonts and

Dear Guillermo,

XeTeX is a very good choice, but if for some reason you need to use normal
TeX (e.g. To fit in with coauthors or journal requirements, there is another
way).

You don't need the suitcase (screen font file), just the individual
PostScript files that you already have. The AFM files are only necessary to
create TFM files, so instead you can get the TFM files for Bodoni using the
old Y&Y support files and the LY1 encoding. The Y&Y company is defunct but
the files are now at TUG: http://www.tug.org/yandy/ly1.htm

> These fonts are probably files with the font in the resource fork, so
> you would first need to "extract" the font file from it. The public
> domain programme fondu can do this.

The specific program is t1unmac, which comes with all three of the TeX
distributions on my machine (teTeX, gwTeX and TeXLive 2007 -- one day I will
clean this up...).  You need to end up with a PFB file.
The command will look like this:
t1unmac -r BodonIta/rsrc pbnri8a.pfb

> Next step would be to create the AFM files from the PFB (or PFA) font
> files, that fontinst needs. Ghostscript offers the shell script
> printafm.

Alternatively, you could try using the old Y&Y support files and the LY1
encoding, for which the TFM files are already available. The AFM files are
only necessary to create TFM files, so instead you can get the TFM files for
Bodoni he Y&Y company is defunct but the files are now at TUG:
http://www.tug.org/yandy/ly1.htm. LY1 encoding doesn't require VF files so
that saves a step.

> Now you can write two TeX files for fontinst to create the FD file
> and the MAP file fragment, and the PL files, out of which all the
> necessary TFM and VF files can be created with the help of some
> utility programmes like (/usr/bin/)apply and pltotf and vptovf from
> TeX. Then install in TeX's local additions tree and run maketexlsr/
> texhash. Final step is to update the MAP files with the newly created
> and installed MAP file fragment for Bodoni: sudo updmap-sys --enable
> Map=<the file name>. (It's also possible to make a private
> installation.)

I have Bodoni working on my machine -- I think I must have the same CD of
fonts that came with some old Adobe program that you do.[1]  If getting the
FD files and fontinst right isn't working for you, feel free to email me
privately and I can supply the working MAP file fragment and FD files.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Luci

[1] I can't provide accurate instructions for people to replicate the work
as it was mostly trial and error using different TeX distributions over many
years, but I have working support files for multiple non-standard fonts
including actual Trebuchet, Arial and Arial Narrow from a Windows machine,
Linotype Sabon LTStd (OpenType), Cochin, as well as a stack of old Adobe
fonts such as Galliard, Giovanni, Caslon 224, New Baskerville and Officina,
all using the LY1 TeXnANSI encoding. Obviously the TrueType and OpenType
fonts only work in pdfLaTeX and friends, and small caps falls over for some
fonts. If anyone is interested in systematising this, let me know.