[OS X TeX] Re: Using old Adobe PS (Type 1) fonts

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Oct 29 20:58:38 CET 2007

Am 29.10.2007 um 16:24 schrieb Guill. Moreno-Socias:

>    I want to use the font Bodoni in plain TeX.  I have the files
>
> Bodon
> BodonBol
> BodonBolIta
> BodonIta
>
> which are PostScript Type 1 outline fonts and

These fonts are probably files with the font in the resource fork, so
you would first need to "extract" the font file from it. The public
domain programme fondu can do this.

Next step would be to create the AFM files from the PFB (or PFA) font
files, that fontinst needs. Ghostscript offers the shell script
printafm.

Now you can write two TeX files for fontinst to create the FD file
and the MAP file fragment, and the PL files, out of which all the
necessary TFM and VF files can be created with the help of some
utility programmes like (/usr/bin/)apply and pltotf and vptovf from
TeX. Then install in TeX's local additions tree and run maketexlsr/
texhash. Final step is to update the MAP files with the newly created
and installed MAP file fragment for Bodoni: sudo updmap-sys --enable
Map=<the file name>. (It's also possible to make a private
installation.)

The TeX font name for Bodoni is pbb. More details can be found in the
Font Installation Guide (texdoc fontinstallationguide) and in
fontinst documents (texdoc fontinst).

--
Greetings

   Pete

"A mathematician is a machine that turns coffee into theorems."