[OS X TeX] Re: Using old Adobe PS (Type 1) fonts

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Mon Oct 29 18:21:46 CET 2007

At 5:02 PM +0100 10/29/07, Guill. Moreno-Socias wrote:
>On 10/29/07, Alan Munn <amunn at msu.edu> wrote:
>>  At 4:24 PM +0100 10/29/07, Guill. Moreno-Socias wrote:
>  > >    I want to use the font Bodoni in plain TeX.  I have the files
>
>  >
>>  By far the easiest approach would be to use XeTeX
>>  (and associated packages like fontspec), which
>>  allows you to access any of your Mac installed
>>  fonts (i.e. anything in /Library/Fonts) with TeX.
>>  Otherwise you're in for a long and complicated
>>  process of creating the relevant files for TeX to
>>  use.
>
>    Thank you very much, Alan.  I am going to learn how to use XeTeX.
>What would you recommend as an introduction?

I guess the best place would be the XeTeX documentation supplied with TeXLive.

Open a terminal window and type:

texdoc XeTeX-reference
texdoc XeTeX-notes

which should open the relevant documents.

There is already a xetex engine supplied with TeXShop, so if you're
using that, you can typeset documents straightforwardly; just choose
the appropriate engine from the pulldown menu on your document, or put

%!TEX TS-program = xetex

at the top of your source file.

I don't use plain TeX, so I can't help you too much more.  There is,
however, a good XeTeX mailing list which may help if you get more
stuck.

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491