[OS X TeX] LaTeX Font warnings: Font shape

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 23:43:12 CEST 2007

On Oct 22, 2007, at 4:40 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

> At 4:04 PM -0400 10/22/07, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>> LaTeX gives me the following:
>>
>> 	LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/lmr/bx/sc' undefined
>> 	(Font)              using `T1/lmr/bx/n' instead on input line 67.
>>

> This simply means that the font  (lmodern roman) you chose doesn't
> have bold small caps, so it substituted normal shape instead.
>
>> 	LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/lmss/m/sc' in size <10> not
>> available
>> 	(Font)              Font shape `T1/lmr/m/sc' tried instead on
>> input line 96.
>
> This one says that the font you chose (lmodern sans) doesn't have
> small caps either, and so roman was substituted here.
>
> These are not problems you can fix since the fonts simply don't
> have the relevant shapes.

I always knew that I should not have anything to do with fonts.

I think I switched to LatinModern on general advice from this list so
I didn't worry until just an hour ago.

Thanks to your explanations, I have stopped worrying and am not about
to do anything.

>> For what it is worth,
>>
>> a. After clean installing 10.4.9, I made a clean i-install of
>> gwTeX and, I think, gwTeX Support: CM-Super.
>>
>> b. In my preamble I still have from my previous installation:
>>
>> 		\usepackage{lmodern}
>> 		\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> 		\usepackage{textcomp}
>>
>> 	possibly because of
>>
>> 		\DeclareMathAlphabet{\denom}{OT1}{cmss}{sbc}{n}
>
> This certainly isn't the cause, although I'm not sure why you want
> this to be OT1 as opposed to T1

I can't remember.

> (and for consistency presumably this should be lmss instead of cmss.

I  need a font to distinguish a certain category of terms.

>> Since the errors are not fatal and the output suits me, I don't
>> really care but I am curious. How can I find out what is going on?
>
> Some of this is covered in the LaTeX Companion in Chap. 7

That's what I used to arrive at the above DeclareMathAlphabet.

> although it doesn't specifically address the error in a way that
> would be helpful.

I sure agree.

Very grateful regards
--schremmer