[OS X TeX] LaTeX Font warnings: Font shape

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Oct 23 00:31:09 CEST 2007

Hi Alain,

On 23/10/2007, at 7:43 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2007, at 4:40 PM, Alan Munn wrote:
>
>> At 4:04 PM -0400 10/22/07, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>>> LaTeX gives me the following:
>>>
>>> 	LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/lmr/bx/sc' undefined
>>> 	(Font)              using `T1/lmr/bx/n' instead on input line 67.
>>>

>> This simply means that the font  (lmodern roman) you chose doesn't
>> have bold small caps, so it substituted normal shape instead.
>>
>>> 	LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/lmss/m/sc' in size <10> not
>>> available
>>> 	(Font)              Font shape `T1/lmr/m/sc' tried instead on
>>> input line 96.
>>
>> This one says that the font you chose (lmodern sans) doesn't have
>> small caps either, and so roman was substituted here.

> Thanks to your explanations, I have stopped worrying and am not
> about to do anything.

Well, that may not be the best approach.

You should look through your output for places where small-caps
was requested, but not provided properly.

In particular, the first (bold) instance is giving you
lowercase instead of small uppercase.
Being bold, this is probably in headings or captions;
  e.g.  the  'Figure' part at the beginning of the caption.

If that is the only thing that is wrong due to this, then
yes it is nothing to worry about, provided it still looks OK.

The second instance is of sans-serif smallcaps being given
as roman small-caps. This may well look quite bad, to have
roman in the middle of a block of stuff that is otherwise
sans-serif.  But more likely it is another kind of header,
maybe in footnotes, table-of-contents, or perhaps due to
the bibliography style.

Note that the warnings occur the first time that you
try to *use* the requested combination of font styles
and shapes. As source line-numbers are given, you should
be able to read from the log-file which was the data file
being input at that point, and find the corresponding line.
Then determine the font-switching macro that triggered the
warning.

If it is near the beginning of your document, there is a
good chance that it happens while reading a .toc, .lof
or .lot file, or other metadata stuff that you place
near the front of your magnum opus, rather than amongst
its mathematical content.

> I  need a font to distinguish a certain category of terms.

Maybe you have a glossary of terms, inserted near the
beginning of the book?  Are you really getting the font
that you wanted to use for this?

>>> Since the errors are not fatal and the output suits me, I don't
>>> really care but I am curious. How can I find out what is going on?

Make use of the information that these messages provide.
They have line-numbers. You can determine the file.
The rest is up to you to check it out.

The .log file is meant to be your friend.
Normally it is, provided you bother to interpret the data
that it contains.

> Very grateful regards
> --schremmer

Hope this helps,