[OS X TeX] LaTeX Font warnings: Font shape

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Mon Oct 22 22:40:16 CEST 2007

At 4:04 PM -0400 10/22/07, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>LaTeX gives me the following:
>
>	LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/lmr/bx/sc' undefined
>	(Font)              using `T1/lmr/bx/n' instead on input line 67.

This simply means that the font  (lmodern roman)
you chose doesn't have bold small caps, so it
substituted normal shape instead.

>	LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape
>`T1/lmss/m/sc' in size <10> not available
>	(Font)              Font shape
>`T1/lmr/m/sc' tried instead on input line 96.

This one says that the font you chose (lmodern
sans) doesn't have small caps either, and so
roman was substituted here.

These are not problems you can fix since the
fonts simply don't have the relevant shapes.

>For what it is worth,
>
>a. After clean installing 10.4.9, I made a clean
>i-install of gwTeX and, I think, gwTeX Support:
>CM-Super.
>
>b. In my preamble I still have from my previous installation:
>
>		\usepackage{lmodern}
>		\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>		\usepackage{textcomp}
>
>	possibly because of
>
>		\DeclareMathAlphabet{\denom}{OT1}{cmss}{sbc}{n}

This certainly isn't the cause, although I'm not
sure why you want this to be OT1 as opposed to T1
(and for consistency presumably this should be
lmss instead of cmss.  But perhaps others can say
more about this.

>Since the errors are not fatal and the output
>suits me, I don't really care but I am curious.
>How can I find out what is going on?

Some of this is covered in the LaTeX Companion in
Chap. 7 although it doesn't specifically address
the error in a way that would be helpful.

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824      Tel.  +1-517-355-7491