[OS X TeX] htlatex, encoding and accented characters

Eitan Gurari gurari at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Sep 12 17:31:05 CEST 2006

 > I am using the Claus Gerhardt macros in TeXShop to produce an html
 > file from a LaTeX source (some text and tables, no math).
 > The output looks fine on Safari, but these documents contain accented
 > characters (they written in Portuguese).
 >
 > The problem I have is that these characters come out in latin1
 > encoding (regardless of the encoding of the tex source).
 > I have had to manually convert the output in order to use the proper
 > HTML escape codes (e.g. replacing ã by ã etc.).
 > I need ... to send these documents to ... word,

 > My question is: is there an option to htlatex that may automate this?

Try  the command line

   mk4ht uxhlatex filename

or

   htlatex filename "html,uni-html4" " -cmozhtf"

If neither works, can you show a miniature sample latex file, the .log
file created during the compilation, and the messages issued by
tex4ht.c onto the console.  If possible, place the above on the web
and just submit a pointer.

-eitan