[OS X TeX] htlatex, encoding and accented characters

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at fc.ul.pt
Tue Sep 12 11:26:06 CEST 2006

I am using the Claus Gerhardt macros in TeXShop to produce an html
file from a LaTeX source (some text and tables, no math).
The output looks fine on Safari, but these documents contain accented
characters (they written in Portuguese).

The problem I have is that these characters come out in latin1
encoding (regardless of the encoding of the tex source).
I have had to manually convert the output in order to use the proper
HTML escape codes (e.g. replacing ã by ã etc.).
I need this because my wife has to send these documents to her boss,
who only uses word, and they seem to get garbled otherwise (or at
least they do in the mac; I don't have a windows machine to test this
on, and don't want her to send files that may not work).

My question is: is there an option to htlatex that may automate this?
Or should I just script the conversion steps to clean up the html?

TIA

Luis Sequeira