[OS X TeX] XeLaTeX in TeXShop

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Sep 7 14:51:56 CEST 2006

Le 7 sept. 06 à 14:32, Michael Kubovy a écrit :

> On Sep 7, 2006, at 6:58 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>> Usually when TeXShop is installed it provides its own engine
>> scripts in /Applications/TeXShop.app/Contents/Resources/TeXShop/
>> Engines. You can have your own (versions) in ~/Library/TeXShop/
>> Engines. Depending on the TeX source file's header such an engine
>> can be selected directly, otherwise you have to choose an entry
>> from the rectangular shaped TeX or LaTeX menu (by default the
>> second one from the left).
>
>> The mechanism of selecting directly the right engine from the
>> source file's contents is implemented in an imperialistic fashion:
>> only the TeXShop syntax is allowed on these two lines, any more
>> commented or uncommented text makes it fail for sure ... (either
>> you obey my law or ... use M$?)
>
> This is a cryptic (and frightening) comment.

I don't quite get it either.

>> The mentioning of "Display has been set to 0:0" in the console
>> window seems to imply that you are using some X11 application to
>> display some output of XeTeX. Why? What is the contents of the
>> engine you used?
>
> I installed XeLaTeX via i-Installer. I don't remember installing
> Peter Dyballa's X11 TeX package (to respond to Bruno Voisin's
> question). I do have an X11 window open (because I use R for
> stats). When I compile with my usual settings (first line: %!
> program = pdflatex), "Display has been set to 0:0" does *not* appear.

Do you have, by any chance, a ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist? Any
setting there would affect all GUI applications and the subprocesses
run by them. I don't think that could make TeXShop call X11 when
compiling a TeX file with the XeLaTeX engine, but who knows?

> Regarding XeLaTeX hanging with \url{}, Bruno says: "This message is
> a known bug in the latest XeTeX distro (v. 0.995 rev. D). So far
> the only cure is to compile from source, in case you have the
> Developer Tools (= Xcode) installed." I am doing this as I write,
> and will let you know how I fare (it does take time, as Bruno
> points out).

As Jonathan Kew pointed out when I first reported on my experience at
compiling XeTeX:

> Le 19 mai 06 à 12:42, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> On 19 May 2006, at 11:32 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>>
>>> Only problem was, the fan of my 1 GHz 17" PowerBook
>>> G4 has been spinning like mad during most of the compilation.
>>
>> A little regular exercise helps keep your CPU fit and strong! :)

You may also be interested by this thread on the XeTeX list <http://
tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2006-September/thread.html#5036>.