[OS X TeX] XeLaTeX in TeXShop

Michael Kubovy kubovy at virginia.edu
Thu Sep 7 14:32:06 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Sep 7, 2006, at 6:58 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 07.09.2006 um 12:17 schrieb Michael Kubovy:
>
>> the compilation takes ~10s before anything is displayed on the
>> console, and another ~20 s after it says: "Display has been set to
>> 0:0".
>
> Please tell us a bit of your engines! And please check your TeXShop
> preferences, too!

I have
/Users/mk/Library/TeXShop/Engines/XeLaTeX.engine
/Users/mk/Library/TeXShop/Engines/XeTeX.engine

In TeXShop preferences:
Paths:
(pdf)TeX: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current
Distiller: /usr/local/bin

Default typesetting:
Command: LaTeX
Script: Pdftex

> Usually when TeXShop is installed it provides its own engine
> scripts in /Applications/TeXShop.app/Contents/Resources/TeXShop/
> Engines. You can have your own (versions) in ~/Library/TeXShop/
> Engines. Depending on the TeX source file's header such an engine
> can be selected directly, otherwise you have to choose an entry
> from the rectangular shaped TeX or LaTeX menu (by default the
> second one from the left).

> The mechanism of selecting directly the right engine from the
> source file's contents is implemented in an imperialistic fashion:
> only the TeXShop syntax is allowed on these two lines, any more
> commented or uncommented text makes it fail for sure ... (either
> you obey my law or ... use M$?)

This is a cryptic (and frightening) comment. Do I really have to use M
$ or is it OK that my first lines are:

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass[twocolumn]{article}
\usepackage{xunicode}
\usepackage{url}

> The mentioning of "Display has been set to 0:0" in the console
> window seems to imply that you are using some X11 application to
> display some output of XeTeX. Why? What is the contents of the
> engine you used?

I installed XeLaTeX via i-Installer. I don't remember installing
Peter Dyballa's X11 TeX package (to respond to Bruno Voisin's
question). I do have an X11 window open (because I use R for stats).
When I compile with my usual settings (first line: %! program =
pdflatex), "Display has been set to 0:0" does *not* appear.

Regarding XeLaTeX hanging with \url{}, Bruno says: "This message is a
known bug in the latest XeTeX distro (v. 0.995 rev. D). So far the
only cure is to compile from source, in case you have the Developer
Tools (= Xcode) installed." I am doing this as I write, and will let
you know how I fare (it does take time, as Bruno points out).
_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/