[OS X TeX] XeLaTeX in TeXShop

Michael Kubovy kubovy at virginia.edu
Thu Sep 7 17:32:42 CEST 2006

On Sep 7, 2006, at 8:51 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 7 sept. 06 à 14:32, Michael Kubovy a écrit :
>
>> On Sep 7, 2006, at 6:58 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>>
>>> Usually when TeXShop is installed it provides its own engine
>>> scripts in /Applications/TeXShop.app/Contents/Resources/TeXShop/
>>> Engines. You can have your own (versions) in ~/Library/TeXShop/
>>> Engines. Depending on the TeX source file's header such an engine
>>> can be selected directly, otherwise you have to choose an entry
>>> from the rectangular shaped TeX or LaTeX menu (by default the
>>> second one from the left).
>>
>>> The mechanism of selecting directly the right engine from the
>>> source file's contents is implemented in an imperialistic
>>> fashion: only the TeXShop syntax is allowed on these two lines,
>>> any more commented or uncommented text makes it fail for sure ...
>>> (either you obey my law or ... use M$?)
>>
>> This is a cryptic (and frightening) comment.
>
> I don't quite get it either.
>
>>> The mentioning of "Display has been set to 0:0" in the console
>>> window seems to imply that you are using some X11 application to
>>> display some output of XeTeX. Why? What is the contents of the
>>> engine you used?
>>
>> I installed XeLaTeX via i-Installer. I don't remember installing
>> Peter Dyballa's X11 TeX package (to respond to Bruno Voisin's
>> question). I do have an X11 window open (because I use R for
>> stats). When I compile with my usual settings (first line: %!
>> program = pdflatex), "Display has been set to 0:0" does *not* appear.
>
> Do you have, by any chance, a ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist? Any
> setting there would affect all GUI applications and the
> subprocesses run by them. I don't think that could make TeXShop
> call X11 when compiling a TeX file with the XeLaTeX engine, but who
> knows?

Yes.
% more ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://
www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>PATH</key>
<string>/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/
usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/teTeX/
bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current</string>
</dict>
</plist>
%

> As Jonathan Kew pointed out when I first reported on my experience
> at compiling XeTeX:

>>> A little regular exercise helps keep your CPU fit and strong! :)

It's not the work of my computer I'm worried about, it's the risk of
my falling asleep on the job waiting for .tex to compile.
_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/