[OS X TeX] Inclusion of TIFF files

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 6 23:16:26 CEST 2006

On 6-sep-2006, at 11:32, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Please do not answer along the lines of "use ImageMagick to convert
> TIFF to another bitmap format"; or "educate your publisher so that
> they accept PDF and JPEG file formats". The publisher must have
> their reasons for acting as they do, I don't want to interfere
> here, that would just be a waste of everybody's time. The idea is,
> rather: given a specific set of constraints (TeX on OS X, LaTeX
> journal style file, EPS format for vectorial drawings and TIFF
> format for bitmap drawings), how to optimize the resulting output
> and the time spent to get it?

graphics support depends in the dvi driver, and therefore the
publisher may be able to do things you can't do with dvips. Including
tiff seems to be one of them. I'm not aware of *any* method for
including tiff in (la)tex or pdf(la)tex.

That said, since you'll be using a bitmap for some vector art anyway,
I think you might be able to get away with tiff2ps (I don't know
which package installed it on my machine, but it is there ;-) There
seems to be a newer version out, which support postscript level 3
(The version on my Linux system at work does that, on my PowerBook,
support stops at level 2).

tiff2ps -e -2 -z -O file.bitmap.eps file.tiff

Since PS level 2 and up can incorporate bitmapped formats, all this
does is placing a thin layer around the tiff. This is the closest
thing I know of including a tiff file in dvips.

Maarten

PS: I just had a poster printed with one day worth of satellite
measurements: about one million points, drawn as individual polygons,
with an additional world map added. Oh, the poster included four of
these maps. The eps version of the poster was big, the *compressed*
pdf came in at 66 MB (a single page). (I don't recall the eps size
exactly, but it was close to 600 MB). And that is considered to be
"low" resolution… the satellite measurements, that is.------------------------- Info --------------------------