[OS X TeX] Inclusion of TIFF files

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Sep 7 01:02:21 CEST 2006

Le 6 sept. 06 à 23:16, Maarten Sneep a écrit :

> That said, since you'll be using a bitmap for some vector art
> anyway, I think you might be able to get away with tiff2ps (I don't
> know which package installed it on my machine, but it is there ;-)

Yes, I've got it too.

> There seems to be a newer version out, which support postscript
> level 3 (The version on my Linux system at work does that, on my
> PowerBook, support stops at level 2).
>
> tiff2ps -e -2 -z -O file.bitmap.eps file.tiff
>
> Since PS level 2 and up can incorporate bitmapped formats, all this
> does is placing a thin layer around the tiff. This is the closest
> thing I know of including a tiff file in dvips.

Your command-line example is magic. If I just use

	tiff2ps -e -z -O file-600dpi-ps1.eps file-600dpi.tif

the size of the resulting EPS is 44.1 MB -- about the same as the
original vectorial EPS file.

If now I add the -2 option as you did:

	tiff2ps -e -2 -z -O file-600dpi-ps2.eps file-600dpi.tif

then the resulting EPS is 3.1 MB. Magic!

I do not have the faintest idea of the difference between PostScript
type 1 and type 2, but the take-home message here seems: type 2 files
are much, much smaller!

Many thanks,