[OS X TeX] Gratitude

David Oliver daoliver at swva.net
Fri Jul 14 15:38:46 CEST 2006

To those of you---and there are many, led by Dick Koch and Gerben
Wierda---who have given of yourselves to bring forth a fine, open
source,  TeX system built around TeXShop and teTeX, for the UNIX
based Mac platform,  I offer you my sincere thanks. What you have
created is an indispensable tool I use every day.

I wrote my books with Textures, beginning in the late 1980s. Textures
was one of the finest and most reliable MAC programs I have ever used
and I often cited it to colleagues for its quality. It saddens me
that Textures fell into disarray with the advent of OS X. But the
UNIX based OS opened the MAC to UNIX based TeX with the above
mentioned results.

I find I am able to do all that I had previously done with Textures
with near-equal facility including synchronization and flash mode
which were critical features I relied on in Textures. A special
thanks to those, particularly, Jerome Laurens, who implemented these
features.

The complexity of the installation tree and the handling of fonts
remain areas for users that are neither trivial or simple; but this
is a consequence of both the expansive power of UNIX and continuing
advances in fonts and their encoding, difficulties that betray no
inferiority to Textures.

Thanks again,

David Oliver