[OS X TeX] Font in TeXShop

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 17:56:08 CET 2006

Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 22 févr. 06 à 15:22, Alain Schremmer a écrit :
>
>>> On 22 Feb 2006, at 4:40 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>>>
>>> Try putting in your list of packages:
>>>
>>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>>> \usepackage{textcomp}
>>> \usepackage{mathptmx}
>>> \usepackage[scale=.92]{helvet}
>>> \usepackage{courier}
>>

>>> On 22 Feb 2006, at 2:54 am, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>>>
>>> This should change the typeface of your TeX-generated text to match
>>> what you're using in your Intaglio graphics.
>>

>> Not knowing what I am doing, I certainly don't want to do that.
>

> Why? What it will do is:
>
> (1) use Times as the serif (or roman, if your prefer) font in your
> text together with matching fonts, based on Times and Symbol with a
> tiny bit of Computer Modern, for math formulae;
>
> (2) use Helvetica as the sans serif font;
>
> (3) use Courier as the monospaced (or typewriter, if you prefer) font.
>
> Nothing more.

>> Again, I am too ignorant to ask nicely so I will just try changing
>> Times New Roman in the Intaglio files to Times and stay with the best
>> match of the two.
>

> For most people, the difference between Times and Times New Roman is
> negligible (as is the difference between Helvetica and Arial, for
> example). Which means that, with the above LaTeX code, you should end
> up with your LaTeX text and Intaglio figures using very similar fonts.
> Isn't that what you were looking for?

Absolutely. But, you know, the fear of the unknown and all that: I have
often attempted changes I thought would be innocuous but resulted in
everything crashing to a stop—mostly because I lost a $ or a }. I
thought that changing the font in Intaglio rather than in LaTeX would be
safer even though it would take a lot longer since I would have to edit
hundreds of graphics files. So, OK, you are right and I will try it as
soon as I can spare a few hours—in case something unforeseen happens.

In any case, yes, "the difference between Times and Times New Roman is
negligible" and, at least for the time being, I am leaving things as
they are and, so, I have the feeling that I have created a tempest in a
teapot.

Embarrassed regards
--schremmer