[OS X TeX] updated packages

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 22:51:41 CET 2006

On 2/6/06, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:
> Le 6 févr. 06 à 22:07, Victor Ivrii a écrit :
>
> > I see a problem with you installing into texmf.local: who normally
> > should uninstall?
> > If I intall some package into texmf.local, I am aware of this and if
> > it becomes outdated
> > I either replace it by a new version or just simply delete it if the
> > new version comes
> > to texfm.tetex or texfm.gwtex. However if i-installer puts some staff
> > here, I am not aware and it will take precedence over newer packages
> > installed later by i-installer into  texfm.tetex or texfm.gwtex.
>
> I think you're mistaken: the TeX i-Package doesn't put stuff normally
> inside texmf.local, apart from the files created during the install
> process of gwTeX (.fmt and .log files, etc.).
>
> It's the additional i-Packages (CM-Super, XeTeX, MusixTeX, ConTeXt
> updater, possibly others) which put stuff inside texmf.local. In this
> case, there's no problem cos' you're necessarily aware of what you've
> done.

Not really: if some package i-installer puts staff in my local tree it does not
advise me about this.

> Plus, you can put there all your personal additions (in my case
> journal style files, Lucida, MathTime, Mathematica and Adobe Euro
> fonts), and be sure they won't be touched by any update of the TeX i-
> Package.

Assume that Gerben decided to put some such files (say utthesis.sty
where ut=univerity of texas) into my local tree where there is already
(utthesis.sty where ut=university of toronto). What then?
[actually long ago there was a little newsgroup ownership war between
these two universities]

                                                            Victor