[OS X TeX] updated packages

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Feb 6 22:32:24 CET 2006

Le 6 févr. 06 à 22:07, Victor Ivrii a écrit :

> I see a problem with you installing into texmf.local: who normally
> should uninstall?
> If I intall some package into texmf.local, I am aware of this and if
> it becomes outdated
> I either replace it by a new version or just simply delete it if the
> new version comes
> to texfm.tetex or texfm.gwtex. However if i-installer puts some staff
> here, I am not aware and it will take precedence over newer packages
> installed later by i-installer into  texfm.tetex or texfm.gwtex.

I think you're mistaken: the TeX i-Package doesn't put stuff normally
inside texmf.local, apart from the files created during the install
process of gwTeX (.fmt and .log files, etc.).

It's the additional i-Packages (CM-Super, XeTeX, MusixTeX, ConTeXt
updater, possibly others) which put stuff inside texmf.local. In this
case, there's no problem cos' you're necessarily aware of what you've
done.

Plus, you can put there all your personal additions (in my case
journal style files, Lucida, MathTime, Mathematica and Adobe Euro
fonts), and be sure they won't be touched by any update of the TeX i-
Package.

Bruno Voisin