[OS X TeX] inputting figures that are pfd files

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Mon Apr 10 23:40:09 CEST 2006

>Jose> I generate many figures with Maple, say, which does not save to PDF
>Jose> directly but to EPS.  I then convert (and retouch) the figures using
>Jose> Graphics Converter and save to PDF and not once have I been able to
>Jose> input the PDF into a latex document without first generating the .bb
>Jose> file.  In fact, I was alerted to need of .bb file by a LaTeX
>Jose> error/warning.

Then Graphics Converter might not be the right program to do this. I
suppose it doesn't generate the proper MediaBox or CropBox in the PDF file.
When I have to start from an EPS file, I almost always use epstopdf to
convert to PDF. And this gives the proper bounding box.

By the way, is it Graphics Converter or GraphicConverter? Isn't
GraphicConverter a bitmap only program. In that case (when Maple generates
vector images) you get a decrease in quality with this conversion. And when
using bitmaps, PNG may be a better choice, because the size info is always
in the file.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>