[OS X TeX] inputting figures that are pfd files

Jose Figueroa-O'Farrill j.m.figueroa at ed.ac.uk
Mon Apr 10 12:43:20 CEST 2006

Jose> All I meant that you can generate the .bb file (with the bounding box
Jose> information) from the .pdf file by running ebb on it.  In my
Jose> experience at least, whenever I include .pdf files without either a
Jose> .bb file  or specifying a bounding box in the \includegraphics
Jose> command, the graphics do not appear.  However I have never experienced
Jose> the same error that you described.

Piet> I use pdf includes quite a lot, and I never have to use ebb nor
Piet> to specify a bounding box. It might be that the OP's PDF file
Piet> has too much white space around [Overfull \hbox (159.5385pt too
Piet> wide)] or it doesn't have its size properly inside. Cropping it
Piet> with the pdfcrop script or manually with Preview may solve the
Piet> problem.

I generate many figures with Maple, say, which does not save to PDF
directly but to EPS.  I then convert (and retouch) the figures using
Graphics Converter and save to PDF and not once have I been able to
input the PDF into a latex document without first generating the .bb
file.  In fact, I was alerted to need of .bb file by a LaTeX
error/warning.

José