[OS X TeX] Switching from dvips+gs to pdftex

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 8 22:04:00 CEST 2005

On 8 Sep 2005, at 21:45, Chris Goedde wrote:

> My questions are: (a) what's the best package for including figures
> in pdftex? and

the official standard ones:
\usepackage{graphics} or \usepackage{graphicx}

This first one is described in Lamport, and uses a fairly standard
LaTeX user interface, which I can never recall the order of the
arguments for, the second uses a key-value system which is documented
in grfguide.ps (available through "texdoc grfguide" from a terminal).

> (b) Is there a way to get TeX to do the conversion of legacy eps
> files on the fly?

Yes:
     http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=pdftexgraphics

I think the epstopdf package will help you here, but a shell script
may actually be faster, using find to convert all eps files once -
before you go out for lunch and then you're set.

The other items in the graphics section of the FAQ may be helpful,
especially
     http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=graph-pspdf .

The FAQ ia at:
     http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes