[OS X TeX] pdf font coding problems

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Dec 19 11:17:55 CET 2005

Am 19.12.2005 um 10:49 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> 	sudo -H updmap-sys --setoption dvipsDownloadBase35 true
> 	sudo -H updmap-sys --setoption pdftexDownloadBase14 true
> 	sudo -H updmap-sys --setoption dvipdfmDownloadBase14 true

Doesn't this mean that you need to have these 35 PostScript fonts
installed for TeX? I think they're not free and not contained in the
TeX i-Package (only TFM and VF) ... So when you want to download these
fonts or when you want to have automatic font expansion as a
microtypographic feature available, you need to use their urw++ clones
... I have completely switched off the use of urw++ substitutes
(because I'm a rich man, owner of a PostScript 3 printer!), but I think
once you select any of the urw MAP file fragments they are listed there
as items to be downloaded. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to print with
these fonts. So this won't help George, I think. Isn't it possible that
AI rejects to use embedded PostScript fonts, because it "knows" how to
display the Adobe ones and does not need and therefore does not have a
PS font renderer? Just as Acrobat or Adobe Reader do?

--
Greetings

   Pete

build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
                                                           -- Rich Cook