[OS X TeX] pdf font coding problems

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Dec 19 14:43:31 CET 2005

Le 19 déc. 05 à 11:17, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 19.12.2005 um 10:49 schrieb Bruno Voisin:
>
>> 	sudo -H updmap-sys --setoption dvipsDownloadBase35 true
>> 	sudo -H updmap-sys --setoption pdftexDownloadBase14 true
>> 	sudo -H updmap-sys --setoption dvipdfmDownloadBase14 true
>
> Doesn't this mean that you need to have these 35 PostScript fonts
> installed for TeX? I think they're not free and not contained in
> the TeX i-Package (only TFM and VF) ... So when you want to
> download these fonts or when you want to have automatic font
> expansion as a microtypographic feature available, you need to use
> their urw++ clones ... I have completely switched off the use of urw
> ++ substitutes (because I'm a rich man, owner of a PostScript 3
> printer!), but I think once you select any of the urw MAP file
> fragments they are listed there as items to be downloaded.
> Otherwise you wouldn't be able to print with these fonts. So this
> won't help George, I think.

I think you're mistaken: the updmap documentation isn't particularly
extensive or clear, but from reading the updmap script and its man
page, it seems to me that the dvipsDownloadBase35 option (and
similarly for the pdfTeX and dvipdfm ones) precisely has this
function: replacing the Adobe fonts by their URW clones, and making
sure these are downloaded.

 From the man page, it seems that, with dvipsDownloadBase35 set to
true, download35.map is used to construct psfonts.map, which will
contain, for example:

pcrr8r NimbusMonL-Regu "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
<ucrr8a.pfb

telling the URW clone of Courier will be used and included in the PDF
output.

With dvipsDownloadBase35 set to false, builtin35.map will be used
instead, so that psfonts.map will contain:

pcrr8r Courier "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc

telling Courier itself will be used but not included in the PDF output.

That said, I can confirm what George observed: attempting to open a
PDF file created with TeX + dvips + GS, and containing Nimbus fonts,
in Illustrator CS 2 I get a message telling several Nimbus fonts are
missing and will be substituted (they indeed are, by a sans-serif
font, possibly Lucida Grande).

However, opening the same PDF file in Acrobat, I can verify the
Nimbus fonts are indeed there (in the form of partial sets).

In any case, after posting my preceding message in this thread this
morning I saw the discussion had been moved to another thread "[OS X
TeX] Font problem", and the problem solved, so I will stop here.