[OS X TeX] TeX is not for the faint of heart

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Thu May 6 00:55:43 CEST 2004

Re.

    I hate to do that. It's an endorsement of one person's work over
    another.

I was waiting for /that/. It was inevitable that it should come from
someone or the other.

Consider the following: Jack says that 2+2 = 22. Jill says that 2+2 = 4.
They are your twin children. Are we going to have to refuse to endorse Jill?

Or consider the following. Should some elementary text in mathematics
not be endorsed for use in first grade against, say, Bourbaki's Elements
of Mathematics on the basis …

It is not a matter of fairness, it is a matter of truth. Is anyone here
ready to argue that what Will Robertson wrote is /not/ true? /I/ can
only cite my own experience which I have already done.

It is also a matter of responsabilty toward the "rest of us". More about
that below.

Beyond that, it is not as bad as it sounds. What I think ought to be
done is merely.

*A VERY CENTRAL SITE*

One that nobody trying to go from MS Word to LaTeX could possibly miss
after a two minute search on the web. Just like every road led to Rome,
there would have to be absolutely-clear links to that site all oever the
place. No matter where you started from. I think that this is possible
as it would truly be in the ultimate interest of all.

On that site would reside something along the lines of what I suggested
a bit before.
Stage 1
Stage II

The choice is really the following:
Either you make it accessible to the "great unwashed" or TeX wlll end up
being essentially esoteric history or the private property of MS.
The same situation, by the way, obtains in mathematics. See my letter in
the May Notices of the AMS.

And this the reason a colleague and I are starting the site I mentioned.
When all is said, we are talking politics—in the good sense of the term.

Regards
--schremmer