[OS X TeX] Revisiting Using Hoefler Text Inside TeX

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Wed Jun 16 13:18:59 CEST 2004

Hoefler Text works wonderfully with TeX & friends. You will have to do
the conversion of the actual fonts yourself since it's not permissible
by Apple's license to distribute them or modify them. For the rest: I
think Gerben started distributing versions of  the files you will need
for using the fonts with TeX, but the process could not be done
automatically, so the approach was abandoned. I wonder, though, if it
wouldn't be a good idea to have the files posted somewhere so people
could just convert the font files and download the rest (this is what
happens with a lot of adobe fonts: you have to buy the actual fonts,
but the support files are on CTAN). So to sum it up, here's what you
need to do, I hope I recall correctly after all these months:

1. copy the font /Library/Fonts/Hoefler Text.dfont to a working
directory (e.g., /tmp/)

2. you'll have to "unpack" the mac format. run

    fondu Hoefler\ Text.dfont

This will give you 5 files:

HoeflerText.ttf (the Roman font)
HoeflerTextBlack.ttf (bold)
HoeflerTextBlackItalic.ttf (bold italic)
HoeflerTextItalic.ttf (italic)
HoeflerTextOrnaments.ttf (swashes etc., I have no idea if they can be
used with TeX, I suspect they can't)

rename them to

ehtr16.ttf
ehtc16.ttf
ehtci16.ttf
ehtri16.ttf

3. Now ruun ttf2tex:

ttf2tex -N -f Apple -o Hoefler -x eht

This will be, as it were, a dry run to test if everything works. You
will have to confirm your input by pressing Enter twice; then, you'll
see lots of warnings about missing glyphs swish by, that's OK, don't
worry. In the end, you'll see new directories which contain all the
files you will need. Look at them and see if they contain the
appropriate .tfm, .tff etc. files. If everything went fine, run the
same command with sudo and the --install switch or, if you have a texmf
tree in you ~/Library directory, with the --user switch (more
advisable, IMHO).

4. After that, you'll have to tell your maps about the new font:

sudo updmap --enable Map eht.map

That should be all; at least, it works on my box, and I just love my
Hoefler fonts.

Enjoy!

Thomas