[OS X TeX] FAQ or Archive

Joseph C. Slater joseph.slater at wright.edu
Thu Jul 15 15:07:50 CEST 2004

On Jul 15, 2004, at 8:35 AM, Stephan Hochhaus wrote:

> Hello list-people :)
>
>>> Hm, I saw "list guidelines" and never went further.  I suppose it
>>> was obvious but it wouldn't hurt to put "FAQ" in there.  Perhaps
>>> replacing the word information.
>>
>> I think "information, and LaTeX/TeX resources" covers it. We could
>> also list documents, descriptions of packages, historical
>> information, introductions, and printed documents. The FAQ is
>> actually just a link off the page that this list is 'presented' on.
> Didn't we go through this dscussion a little while back already? I
> remember most people liked the signature "as-is" because it gives you
> the essential info needed and it's not too bloated.

Yes, we did.
> I am one of those people that never take a look at the obvious places
> when trying to get information, this time the obvious place would be
> the MacOS X TeX/LaTeX Web Site, so I guess even a hint at the archives
> and link to the FAQ (which is merely covering a fraction of what gets
> posted here) would probably not be sufficient to point people to the
> right directions most of the time.

That said, I think that it behooves us to a) make a significant effort
to look in those places (if not exhaustive), b) if we don't find
something, and then post a question, add the responses/resolution to
the question to the FAQ. The FAQ can only succeed if it's a sincere
team effort. It's reasonable for the person receiving help to consider
the 'price' being consolidation and posting in the FAQ.

Joe