[OS X TeX] BibDesk bug

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Aug 9 04:16:06 CEST 2004

John,

On Aug 8, 2004, at 19:57, Dr.John R.Vokey wrote:

> I'm not sure with which version this bug was introduced as BibDesk
> used to handle these references correctly, but as of v.0.95, BibDesk
> mishandles ampersands in Journal fields, faultily escaping one of the
> two brackets it inserts around the ampersand in the resulting bib
> file.

[...]

This is a new issue in 0.95.  The motivation is to make it easier for
people to copy-and-paste from text sources (e.g. the web), without
worrying about TeX commands for accented characters and such.

>   The only fix is to edit each such field by hand outside of BibDesk
> (e.g., render {Memory \{\&} Cognition} as {Memory \& Cognition}).
> Worse, if the file is ever edited inside BibDesk again, the error will
> be re-introduced.

A better fix is to put the \& inside curly braces, i.e. {\&}.  If you
do this, BibDesk will handle your bib file properly, and so will
BibTeX.  Any text editor can be used to do a simple find-and-replace
for this job.

> I have contacted the BibDesk development team, but I thought other
> BibDesk users (most likely to be on this list) should be made aware of
> the problem.

The preferred way to report bugs in BibDesk is via the tracker at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=61487&atid=497423>.  There
are also mailing lists specific to BibDesk which you may be interested
in.

--
Adam

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>