[OS X TeX] BibDesk bug

Dr.John R.Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Mon Aug 9 02:57:23 CEST 2004

I'm not sure with which version this bug was introduced as BibDesk used
to handle these references correctly, but as of v.0.95, BibDesk
mishandles ampersands in Journal fields, faultily escaping one of the
two brackets it inserts around the ampersand in the resulting bib file.
  For example, for this simple reference,

@article{VokRea1992,
	Author = {Vokey, J. R. and Read, J. D.},
	Journal = {Memory \{\&} Cognition},
	Pages = {291--302},
	Title = {Familiarity, memorability, and the effect of typicality on
the recognition of faces.},
	Volume = {20},
	Year = {1992}}

Note the error in the Journal field.  The only fix is to edit each such
field by hand outside of BibDesk (e.g., render {Memory \{\&} Cognition}
as {Memory \& Cognition}).  Worse, if the file is ever edited inside
BibDesk again, the error will be re-introduced.  I have contacted the
BibDesk development team, but I thought other BibDesk users (most
likely to be on this list) should be made aware of the problem.

--
John R. Vokey, PhD
Professor

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>