[OS X TeX] ANNOUNCE: New TeX/gs releases for Mac OS X

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Thu Mar 28 14:00:28 CET 2002

Dear everybody,

I am happy to announce the release of a new TeX/gs release and a new
generic installer-mechanism. I have also released an update of the old
installer.

New TeX Release Mechanism

The new TeX distribution mechanism is called i-Installer. i-Installer is
a internet-aware installer program for Mac OS X. It can install
i-Packages, update/load them from the internet. It can also be used as a
dedicated i-Installer, where the i-Packages to install are part of the
application. See http://www.rna.nl/ii.html for details.

For you TeX people, it is more interesting to know what all of this
means for installing TeX. Installing with the dedicated TeX i-Installer
has a few advantages:
- It is easy to choose a different ghostscript. Just open the right URL
*with i-Installer* (http://www.ntg.nl/macosx-tex/i-packages/gs7.ii), and
you can install GhostScript 7 instead of the default 6.01.
- It is easy to update only parts of an installation. You do not need to
download and install the whole 50 MB, you can select to install just
what you want (choice of TeX Foundation (40MB, updated less frequently),
TeX Programs (6MB, updated more often) or GhostScript (6.01, updated
almost never)
- It will be easier to produce specialized i-Installer i-Packages for
stuff like CM-super and other additions. i-Packages may even just
configure stuff instead of also download stuff. I can produce small
update packages, if there are small bugfixes.
- You can inspect the contents of i-Packages, and especially inspect
what the i-Package does on your system. Apart from running those
scripts, which may or may not be available in an i-Package, i-Installer
only unarchives an archive (and maintains a cache if necessary and
writes a time stamp file for every installed i-Package).
- i-Packages come with their own Help information, and dedicated
i-Installers (like the one for TeX and GhostScript) come with an overall
Info file for the set of i-Packages which is automatically displayed at
launch time.

So, where to get it? The best way is to go through
http://www.rna.nl/tex.html. This explains the various TeX distribution
methods and has links for dmg volumes. There are two i-Installer TeX/gs
releases:

- TeX-thin.dmg is a 0.9MB volume that holds a thinned i-Installer for
TeX/gs. That means that it has everything on board, except the actual
archives. It will download these when needed. To be able to download
stuff, it needs to be on a writable location; the volume it ships on is
read-only, so I can trust it's content (for support purposes).
Therefore, before you can install with the thinned dedicated
i-Installer, you need to drag it to a writable location, e.g. your
Desktop. During installation, the i-Installer will fatten itself. Once
you have installed everything in it, it is equivalent to the fat
i-installler. You can save it (say to a CD) and use it later again to
get the same result.

- TeX-fat.dmg is a 51MB volume that holds a full i-Installer for TeX/gs.
It can be installed directly from the read-only volume, but for
updating, it needs a writable location, just like the thin installer.

If you already have a TeX installation from installing with
TeXGSInstaller (from March), you can just update by installing just the
TeX Programs i-Package. That means you only need a 6MB download (as
opposed to a 50MB download) and it is best to download the thin volume.

New old-style TeXGSInstaller release

Since there is a bit of a lack of competition in non-unix-geek TeX
installations, I decided to compete with myself ;-) In other words: I
have also updated the old style monolithic TeXGSInstaller. The
'chunkyness' of the output is gone. The package is called TeX.dmg. The
best way is to go through http://www.rna.nl/tex.html and take one of the
links there.

Finally,

Both old-style and new-style installers have the same TeX installation
on board: TeX Live Programs from March 24 (with additions), teTeX texmf
tree from the end of january (with additions).

The available i-Packages are currently located at the Web Site of the
Dutch TeX User Group. The connection sto this site are untested. During
beta stage, there were some problems when the site used for beta testing
was limiting user access. This leads to stalling downloads in
i-Installer (and no message to my app, so there is nothing I can do
about it), but it is safe to just abort the download and start again.
Start again, is not the same as continue, there is no support for
continuing aborted downloads.

i-Installer web site: http://www.rna.nl/ii.html
TeX distribution web site: http://www.rna.nl/tex.html

"help" (no quotes) in the body.